Oak doors started creaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just installed new oak doors through the whole house. Heavy things but look great.

I used 3x standard hinge on each door due to the weight.

Recently the most used doors, living room, bedroom doors have developed a creaking noise when opening/closing. Is this an indication of something i have done wrong or does it just need something to lubricate the hinges.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you used brass or stainless steel for the hinges and fittings including screws didnt you ;) !!!!!!!

yes stainless steel - is there anything i can do?

ta

if the doors where nice and loose when initially fitted
and all the gaps have been maintained [2mm all round]

do the doors "relax" in the rough position where you installed them [90% to shut]!!!!

its probably a seasoning issue before manufacture :cry:

suspect theres not much you can do if fitted correctly with the hinge knuckles dead in line hold a strait edge to the hinges and see if they are all in line!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Yes the gaps are equal and the doors, about 10 out of the 13 fit perfectly; 90% shut.

The hinges do seem level and the only door that swings open on its own is because the door frame is not level.

I also stored the doors in the house for a week before fitting. They were all sealed, sanded sealed and again etc...

Seem to have done everything properly; so i take it a simple lubricant on the hinges wont do the trick? Is the noise from the hinges or the doors?

And when you say loose, do you mean that i didnt screw fittings tight? Because i didnt.

Cheers

loose as in free movment without tight spots

oil them up with 3in1 or machine oil drop on each segment [rubbing surfaces]of the hinge work the door too and fro and wipe off excess

Ah i see

Yes most are very free fitting. There is 1 bedroom door thats a bit tight to close but thats because i fitted the handle slightly out so you have to push it more.

I'll try the oil; hopefully that will do the trick if its the hinges

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back