Handle height - internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there an recommended height (in any regs etc.) that suggest height for a door handle on an interior panelled door?
If not, is it simply based upon visual appeal aligning the handle with the door horizontals?

Was looking at a couple of doors today and we're considering swapping some of the existing hardware to the rose based handles, it occurred to me that the doors presently have a mixture of handle heights.

Sponsored Links
I always put my handles in at 990mm from the bottom of the door, thats not regulation, thats just recomended, but at the end of the day its up to you. Although if you have any doors within the immediate vacinity of the door you are putting the handles on then I would measure up on these doors and set the new handles at the same height

i always set mine at 1m up, or 1m down, either way it ends up in the centre. ;)

when you say 'rose based handles' what do you mean?

a door knob (twist) requires a deeper latch than a handle (lever).

"1m up or 1m down either way it ends up in the centre"

This is not strictly true as most internal doors measure 1981mm in height and thats before you cut of anything to make them fit!

Handles two and half inch latch.
Knobs three inch latch, otherwise your fingers will hit the door stop

Sponsored Links
I worked in a well known door factory in Stockton on Tees for 20 years.
The lock block was only put on 1 side of hollow doors & always central.

Ok - a meter up it is then - thanks for the input.

In terms of the handle type of rose - a lever handle, but on a round mounting base plate. I'll be going with 3" latches to allow clearance of frame.

As for lock block, yep -I guess in todays mass produced door market, it's a significant saving to put the block only on a single side.

I recall reading may years ago of a member of the public who sent such an idea to Swan Vesta, the match manufacturer. At the time they priovided the traditional sand paper strike on both sides of a box - the idea was implemented and saved them millions.

No particular regulations, but its down to what is a comfortable height for the occupants - bare in mind needs of elderly and disabled if relevent.

The only criteria is for panelled/framed doors, and with these, the lock/latch should not cut into the area where the midrail joints into the stile, as it will weaken the joint.

Hardboard and pressed doors will have a block set in the edge to fix the lock/handles to so the fixing area is limited

did you know........

Wickes do a 'fitted' door that has chamfered leading edges up each of the door sides. these are fitted with lock blocks to both sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back