Mondeo Tdci 52 plate Camshaft position monitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son's 130ps Tdci Mondeo has a flashing glow plug light and is in "limp along" mode. Research suggests that this may (I stress, may) be caused by the camshaft position probe. This is apparently very simple to change, and the part costs about £15. Unfortunately my Haynes manual does not indicate its position, ort give ANY details about the sensor. I believe I have identified it on the front of the camshaft cover adjacent to #3 cam. It has a three wire electrical plug connected. Before removing this I would be grateful if an expert out there could confirm that I am looking at the correct item, as I intend to change this first before submitting the vehicle for an extensive (and expensive) diagnostic check.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Noted, however having checked all the other sites dealing with this problem, (and talking to my local Ford garage) this is not an uncommon cause. Having said all that, changing it did not fix the problem, and the garage have now reprogrammed the injectors, one of which showed a fault code, and which did fix the problem. (£85.19!) However, they claim that having caused a fault once, the injector may well fail again soon, which is certainly confirmed by others with the same problem. We are not looking forward to replacing even one injector at £250 plus plus. What a shame that such a superb car suffers from such an expensive problem. The garage tell me that to change four injectors, and feed pipes (compulsory), costs nearly £2000. I think Fords have a got a cheek designing a car which suffers from such a serious problem at mid-life mileage, or perhaps they are more than happy, as for a lot of cars at 75k such a repair would be uneconomical.
I've certainly changed my mind about ordering one of the new Tdci Mondeos.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
clutches are easy enough to change, its just you usually have to replace the dual mass flywheel and starter motor too. very expensive. timing chain tensioners are another weak point. don't get me started on the injection system!

i 'look after' a lot of taxis at work, and i have to say the mondeo is very popular, and an awful lot more reliable than the pug/citroen/renaults.

the coding is really a calibration correction for the ecu. have had a few that can be recoded only to start knocking/smoking after a few days. a new injector recoded to the ecu seems to cure the fault.
i use the genuine ford ids system to code now. cost a bloody fortune. have found coding with bosch kts/autodiagnos/launch x431 etc cause a bit of bother.

p.s. ford born and bred and i luv them :D (epecially cosworths)

Davieboy, thanks for that info. If we get the expected failure again we will get Fords to change the faulty injector. I still think it a ludicrous price, £250 plus the pipe plus labour, probably about £400 for one injector. Otherwise we still think it is a lovely car to drive.

Regards

Hi i've just had a new pump and four injectors fitted in my 03 mondeo tdci 2.0 130 . the cost of the pump was £350 ex and the injectors were £125 ex each + vat all reconditioned from carwoods in coventry and now she drives like a dream. :LOL: don't go to fords

Maz35,

Thanks very much for that info. Have not had a recurrence so far, fingers crossed!.

Cheers

Hi all. my mondeo tdci 130 cut out on me yesterday, luckily only in traffic. got it started after a few mins, then drove on another 10 miles ish to it cuttin out again, engine completely dying along withe the flashing preheat light. again after few mins started and drove only for about a mile before dying on me again. ive had a friends bluefin diagnostics kit on it today and it keeps coming up with p0340, which im told its the Camshaft Position sensor circuit malfunction. does anyone know if changing the sensor will help as ford have told me the usual dealership bull**** that it could be anything. look forward to hearing anyone elses past troubles involving this fault.

Hi all. my mondeo tdci 130 cut out on me yesterday, luckily only in traffic. got it started after a few mins, then drove on another 10 miles ish to it cuttin out again, engine completely dying along withe the flashing preheat light. again after few mins started and drove only for about a mile before dying on me again. ive had a friends bluefin diagnostics kit on it today and it keeps coming up with p0340, which im told its the Camshaft Position sensor circuit malfunction. does anyone know if changing the sensor will help as ford have told me the usual dealership bull**** that it could be anything. look forward to hearing anyone elses past troubles involving this fault.

It will definately fix it. Just follow the instructions on http://www.pc-point.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3. You can do it yourself and the sensor will only cost you about £18 from Ford Dealer. Just lift the engine cover and see if you have a black sensor or a grey one. Black ones are faulty so if yours is black then you should definately change it. See the pictures on this above forum.

Ok thankyou. ive had a look and mine is a black one, why are black ones faulty, is it just a duff part ford fit and grey ones are new improved parts? im looking to get the part ordered first thing in the morning so ill let you know how it goes when i fit it next weekend. thanks for the advice!!

Sponsored Links
Back