Rules for Gas Pipe clips and spacing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a a new boiler and the CORGI guy who will comission it, wants me to run the gas pipe too. He will solder joints, but I have to do the rest of the pipe work.
Are there any rules about securing 22mm copper gas pipes.
i.e type of clips to use, spacing of clips etc.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you ask your CORGI man he will be able to give you all the required details.

I've never really understood why people quote rules and regulations as regards distances between clipping pipe.

If you think a pipe needs a clip at a certain point in the run to make it secure clip it!!

If that means 4 clips inside a 1 metre run then so be it..if it needs less then also so be it, the point is...is it secure or not?

It really doesn't get any more complicated than that.

Sponsored Links
If you think a pipe needs a clip at a certain point

But too many plumbers think you can support 6m of pipe on a couple of nails, so the minima are important!

Is this a trick question?

One each end of course.. Unless you are economising..

surely 4" nails through the gas pipe would make it far more secure and unlikely to fall off nails when simply placed on them!!!

i've switched to self tappers now as i am sick of bashing mi thumbs ! :LOL:
and be sure to leave the head proud so you have somwhere to hang your manometer.............

Giblets and gas4you - why do you bother posting an answer like that.

Of course I would ask him - if I could. However he is on holiday at the moment and is intending to do my job as soon as he gets back, hence me needing to know the actual answer as I have some time to do the work this weekend.

Thanks to the other posters. Even though your replies are not very helpful, they are at least entertaining.

THe Copper Development Association is there to sell copper, not tell you how to do gas work.
Their paper is WRONG AND INCOMPLETE. DO NOT FOLLOW IT.

There is more to installing gas pipework than spacing the clips. You have to know all there is otherwise you'll get something wrong.

You don't know all the rules therefore you aren't competent therefore it's illegal for you to install pipework to be used for gas.

Giblets and gas4you - why do you bother posting an answer like that.

Call me cynical if you like but your original post smacks of a DIY install. No truely professional £ORGI installer would agree to the customer hanging the boiler let alone running the gas pipework and then sign it off as his own work. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back