BOILER USING TOO MUCH GAS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My BAXI 105E has recently started using a lot of gas; confirmed by high meter reading. Just checked it: 118m cubed in the last week. Used to be much less. I can't smell a leak. The gas fire takes very little gas. When boiler and gas fire are off the meter doesn't move, so must be connected with boiler function. Any advice welcomed. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get an RGI to check it out, if they cannot find anything wrong contact the emergency gas provider who will check the meter

be warned though if they find nowt wrong they will charge you for the test

:)

That does sound quite a lot.

What size is the property?

What type number meter is it?

Tony

I have known this to happen to a few people when making small DIY changes, new cracks, movement of insulation can add noticeable amounts.

Sponsored Links
Max Gas Rate (Natural Gas - G20)
(After 10 Mins)
m3/h 2.78
ft3/h 98.12

<From the manual

It will use the max rate when you have a bath tap running full speed usually. If its in excess of that 2.78m3/h then you will need the boilers gas valve pressure setting by a Corgi.

See how much you use in two mins and multiply by 30
or one min then X 60 should be accurate enough for your purposes.
[That equates to readings of 0.093 and 0.046 for 2 and 1 mins respectively]

It may be possible for the DHW flow switch stick in the on position and burn more gas as it thinks its heating hot water up. Rads will be red hot and the boiler will cycle on / off if thats the case.

Don't forget your boiler will have more work to do when its colder, so that could be the simple explanation for it.

Visit a price comparison site or 3 where you may be able to make savings by changing energy supplier. I have just changed and expect to see about 30% reduction in combined power costs. Take care though because by signing up for DD payment can result in losses by way of failed DD charges if your finances are on a shoestring.

Last on your list of suspects:-
Its not unknown for meters to be inaccurate especially the electronic ones. Kick up a fuss and get a U6 meter which go wrong in your favour when they get old.

Measuring you gas rate is FAQ number 35ish.
Some gas fires are over 20kW!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will get an RGI for a full service, including checking for obstructions of filters. There may also be a problem with house insulation. It is a 4 bedroom semi with a loft conversion ; even at full tilt the boiler won't warm the house beyond 18.5c. The only radiator which ever gets really hot is the one nearest the boiler. So many ideas in a short time. I can see why this website is recommended.

Davefingers.

NEVER underestimate the wastefulness of the gas fire, you say that it doesn't take much gas, but you would be surprised.. Even those cheap junk flame effect fires have a gas input of almost 7Kw for virtually no heating to the room.

The only radiator which ever gets really hot is the one nearest the boiler.
Then your Balancing is hopeless! Think there's a faq on that. Close lockshield valves on the rads which DO get hot, to just half a turn open, and see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back