Fire Doors in Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a 2nd floor flat and am replacing all of the doors. So far I have replaced fire doors with new fire doors and added new closing mechanisms.

Out of the 5 doors in my flat all are fire doors EXCEPT the bathroom. Which also DOESNT have a closing mechanism.

I am now ready to replace the bathroom door, but am not sure whether it should also be a fire door? Does anyone know the building regulations regarding Fire doors in flats. Seems wierd that only the bathroom doesn't have one. Is it something to do with water??? But the kitchen does have a fire door?

I don't want to spend more money of a fire door if I don't need one!

Sponsored Links
...probably because the bathroom is not regarded as habitable space, but neither is the kitchen. :confused:

Any idea where I could find out a definitive answer? I have found websites referring to the regulations, but not a complete set of regulations to read...

Sponsored Links
You only need to conform to the building regulations in place at the time of construction.

Whatever time the flat was built, bathrooms have never required a fire door.

The Approved Documents are widely available online (Part B you want), but those are todays (2007) standards and probably irrelevant

a fire door is also more solid, and provides better sound resistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back