Heat reflective double glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently had some double glazed windows fitted as part of a new extension. They all have a sticker on the window pane which says "Interior side", I am guessing this is the reflective side. However one of the windows was fitted with the sticker on the exterior side, i.e. the stickered "interior side" pane is outside. I told my builder they had obviously made a mistake but they said, no that window was stickered wrongly. I do not trust the builders...so is there anyway to confirm this?

Thanks,
J.

Sponsored Links
to be fair i dont think it makes a great deal of difference whichever way you put them in. i dont know about your units but the ones from my work, the pane which faces the inside is 1mm thicker than the outside one.

Many thanks for that.

The window in question is a bathroom window and the frosted side is inside, which would mean the frosted glass has the heat reflective treatment, is that the way you would build the windows? I would have thought a company would have a load of clear glass with the "treatment"?

Thanks,
J.

It sounds like the builders are having you at it. With the K glass on the outside, you will be loosing more heat out that window than the other windows in the house.

whoever fitted the windows should have been fensa registered and should have provided you with a certificate.

Luckily the glass can be switched around by removing the internal bead so incase the builders can't be bothered to come back, you could try doing it yourself or call out one of those 'window doctor' people. :)

Sponsored Links
It doesn't actually make any difference if the low e pane is on the inside or the outside, it won't effect the U value of the glazing unit at all.
If i were you and particularly if you've never deglazed a window before, i'd leave it as it is.
:D There is no point in damaging any beads or paying someone to do something where there is no benefit in doing it!!!!

philipdayton said:
It doesn't actually make any difference if the low e pane is on the inside or the outside, it won't effect the U value of the glazing unit at all.
If i were you and particularly if you've never deglazed a window before, i'd leave it as it is.
:D There is no point in damaging any beads or paying someone to do something where there is no benefit in doing it!!!!

Philip, I don't understand, if thats the case why do they say 'this side inwards' on stickers and stuff? :confused:

Mw Roofline said:
Philip, I don't understand, if thats the case why do they say 'this side inwards' on stickers and stuff? :confused:

so that you don't end up with some one way and some the other, as the reflective properties of the plain and low e glass are very different and quite noticeable.

noseall said:
Mw Roofline said:

so that you don't end up with some one way and some the other, as the reflective properties of the plain and low e glass are very different and quite noticeable.

Exactly, if say you have a 50/50 split casement side hung next to fixed, if you put the two units in (one with low e external and one internal) aesthetically they would look quite different when viewed from the outside.

I was speaking to a window installer today and he said if the unit was the wrong way round, the U value would be affected. The coating needs to be on the inside to immediately reflect the heat back into the room.

Who is right, you or him, lol :confused: :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back