DIY and Double GlazingHi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advice please.

I have some sash windows (4) that a
have become pretty badly rotted. I am thinking about replacing them with double glazing units, but need to do this as inexpensively as possible. So, I was thinking about buying the units, and installing them myself.

I'm reasonably competent at DIT, but wondered if anyone knows of a detailed guide to instally windows? Also, do you think this is a job for a DIT'er?

Thanks

Alan

Sponsored Links
I just googled "diy window installation" and loads came up.

When selecting your windows make sure that they comply with building regs :cool:

hi, following on from another posters question. i too am fitting my own windows and getting LABC to check. A few question. |I have tried google with no real luck.

Do i have to fit trickle vents to all windows? what about the one on my stairs?

do all upstairs windows have to be for fire escape? or just the bedrooms? bathrooms?

I am adding frecnh doors to a existing window., the reveal is blockwork with DPM. below this can i just use cavity cover with insulation for the bottom half? Door is sitting on DPC at floor level. Do i tie these in togetehr at all? if so how.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The info you require can be found in the building regulations Parts N, F & L1B. Basically you don’t have to provide trickle vents (but in some cases they are a good idea) or means of escape if they were not previously provided; however the lack of provision must not make the situation any worse than it was before. Use plastic cavity closers on the new window reveal, it will also keep the cavity skins isolated; you don’t need to provide any insulation in the lower half of the cavity.

Regards the OP & DIY; both manufacture & installation is notifyable work & you have 2 choices;

DIY fit & get LABC to inspect & issue a compliance certificate – assuming it’s OK! (fee involved)

Get a FENSA registered installer to fit & they will issue you with a certificate of compliance.

Without a certificate, you will have problems when you come to sell the property.

i would get a tradesman to fit them no offence mate but they are a nightmare lots of making up to with buildin g trims plus you should inform your local council before you do them or use a fensa registered person

my dad who will be fitting them did his own 5 years ago and they are all working fine with no problems. The house is being renovated so making good is not a problem :LOL: ill read them regs and try and work it out. thanks

my dad who will be fitting them did his own 5 years ago and they are all working fine with no problems. The house is being renovated so making good is not a problem :LOL: ill read them regs and try and work it out. thanks
Fitting windows is not rocket science & is not difficult; as long as your dad has reasonable DIY skills, understands the regs. & knows what he’s doing he should achieve at least as good a job as any self employed fitter. But to avoid any problems when you come to sell up, you do need to get that inspection & certificate of compliance from your LABC. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back