TV Over the fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install my TV over the fireplace, as the unit is very heavy and the garage is on the other side of the lounge wall, I was thinking of using M8 stud though the wall and unistut on the other side to support the tv bracket.

I have a gas inset fire with class 2 flue, the house is 5 years old and the inner wall appears to be thermolite block.

My question is: what is the construction of the flue from the gas fire, what dimensions and method of installation that would be the norm, the last thing I want to do is wreck the chimney :(

Any help or advise would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How is anyone here going to know the type, size or construction of your flue :confused:

Someone would have to have either built it or seen it to give you the answer.

You mention a chimney, is it a chimney or or is the flue in the cavity wall?

It may be flue blocks, or it may be a flue liner. It may go straight or it may kink to the left or right. It could be a lot of things. The size of any flue blocks will vary depending on type or manufacturer.

What is normal is irrelevant if you have a flue/chimney which is not normal

Dippie.gif

Sponsored Links
Fair comment, but coming from somebody who has never built a flue it seemed reasonable :)

The flue would appear to rise vertically behind a dry lined wall, so flue blocks would be a good bet, for fear of getting shredded, is there a typical size for a flue block.

Thanks for you help so far, I did chuckle at the first reply

Cheers

A flue block is normally the size of a block. These may also veer to the left or right for the first 2 or 3 courses above the opening (800-1500 from floor level) or go straight up before veering

See Redbank flue system but other makes may differ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back