Screwing into previous damp walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am about to undertake a shower installation, and in doing so need to erect some studding to hide pipework etc. I was going to do this by screwing/plugging battons onto the walls against which the shower will be positioned.

My concern is that these walls were recently re-plastered - with sand/cement/waterprooofer mix - due to hygroscopic salts causing damp in the plaster. Would drilling and plugging into these walls cause problems and reduce the damp protection offered by the re-plastering?

If so, is there anyway of screwing into these walls without causing a problem? I was considering injecting a waterproof mastic into the holes before and after the plug is inserted. I feel this method may not work however due to the mechanics of the masonary plug disrupting the mastic.

Sponsored Links
There would be no problem in drilling/fixing into this wall.

But even so, I can't see your concerns if you are erecting a stud frame to hide the wall in any case

i sort of have the same situation when i tank a walk. it effectively becomes a membrane and any drill holes puncture it.

to counter any potential for damp to escape i put clear silicon sealant into the drill hole before pushing in the fixing.

so would say the water proof mastic would be just as good. i would probably put dpc between the studwork and the wall just as a precaution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back