Taking out a wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place.
We're planning on taking out a wall this weekend.
It's an old cupboard which runs parallel to the kitchen and one side is solid (concrete or bricks?) and the other side is hollow (seems to be made of cardboard and plaster).
So far all I've taken off is the door and frame!
Will we be OK to take down the hollow wall only - I assume it's a non supporting wall as it's not made of brick or concrete and every other house round here has already had theirs removed.
Thanx in advance.

Sponsored Links
Your prob Ok to take it down seeing as everyone else has!!
However the routine thing to do is strip a few floorboards or whatever along the whole length of the wall (upstairs) to ensure nothing is bearing on it before you go ahead with ripping it down.
Marty

Thanx for replying :D
So far we've taken off the cupboard door and door frame.
It appears that the wall was actually put in after the ceiling (if that makes sense?) there appears to be a long piece of wood running along the ceiling and down the side to the floor as if the board was nailed to it (there is some cardboardy stuff inside) my other half had a good look by popping a couple of holes in.
The boarding for the ceiling seems to run straight across where the wall is, eg if we took the wall away the ceiling would still be complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back