restoring Fireplace & Chimney Breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken the render off the front of my blocked in fireplace up to about 5 foot. I am a little confused as I was expecting an arched top to the fireplace opening.

I have got about 5 foot up and it looks like its a completely square top - is this common? Its the fireplace in the kitchen so I am wondering if maybe it was used for cooking hencve the height.

Any insight gratefully received. I have a couple of photos I can send to anyone who would be able to give further info.

Sponsored Links
Sometime they use a thin metal plate as a lintel for square opening which you can't see.

Are you absolutely sure it was a fireplace before ? Usually a difference type of brickword and new cement when bricking up the opening etc....

Photo would help us

I don't mind putting my e-mail here but it will be showing all round the world internet system for them to tamper with and junk mails etc......

It would be best if you can post the picture here for others to see as I might not know the answer.

If you don't know how to,you can e-mail Diynot and they will post it for you.

Sponsored Links
How old is your house? It sounds like it may be a chimney/flue for an old large stove? Is the opening very wide? ie more than 3 feet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back