Leaking cistern since syphon changed!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can i just ask if anyone knows what i should do in this situation: last week i changed the syphon on my cistern, but when i attached the cistern back onto the pan (close coupled) a little bit of water comes through (the wing nut holes) when i flush the cistern. it's not much, but adds up over the course of the day. do i need a new donought washer (like-for-like one). the thing is, this wasn't leaking before i changed the syphon so how comes it is now!!!! weird or what?!!

Sponsored Links
Not weird at all. Unlikely you would get the existing donut washer to fit back in exactly the same position and it would have compressed over the years. Always change the donut washer if you have to remove the cistern.

thanks for your advice. much appreciated! i heard somewhere a while back that plumbers putty can also help a donought washer to make a better seal?!! is this worth a go?

everytime a cistern is removed from the pan, a new donought should be replaced then ... good advice there, thanks again. Although actually saying that-i changed my nan's syphon about 6 months ago, and the donought didn't leak like my one does now!!! is it just out of good practice to replace it with the syphon anyway??!!

Don't use the putty - it will make matters worse. You would have to take the cistern off again to apply it so why not fit a new donut instead.

Methinks you may have been lucky with your Nan's cistern.

Sponsored Links
so if a plumber comes to a house to change a syphon and removes the cistern, how do they know what type of donought washer to bring with them 9as there are many different sizes)!!! surely they don't go down to the plumbers merchant and leave someone's toilet apart?!!!!

Sometimes we have to,(theres only a few different types and some are universal). Take your dounut to a plumbers merchant and they will replace with a new one of the same shape/thickness.

I do keep a few washers in my van. One size fit most of it, sometime with silicone sealant as a last resort.

Dan

ok thanks for help all. i will go to plumbers merchants on tuesday to get a new donought once and for all!!! on another note, are push-button valve's (dual flush) standard sizes/heights and can they easily be changed/replaced if falty like a tradkitional syphon can - as i'm thinking of having a push-button cistern downstairs..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back