UPVC Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have moved into a house which has double glazing but not happy with the installation of them, my first issue is they dont appear to be fixed at the top just some silicone, I assume this is because of the lintle, how do people fix the windows at the top?

On some of the windows the catches i.e movveing parts from the handle are worn can these be replaced and where could I get these from?

Sponsored Links
Dunno, but i've completely lost the name of that other site mate, if u could remind me either in here or by email, lol :)

we drill the lintol and use a a long self tapping self drilling screw to hold the heads, I hate to see windows held in with silicon on the heads.
the self drilling screws are good but struggle on lintel on its own, hence the pilot hole. the window handles and gearing are available from several sites

I'm not sure what kind of lintol I have these houses are made from concrete - ex council, I think I'll give it a go cheers for the help

Sponsored Links
There is an argument that drilling the head introduces a risk of rainwater penetrating the frame from the wall above.

I would not drill the head of the frame.

There are other fixing methods available for new installations and retrospective securing

funny you should mention that, I have a window in my porch which is leaking from the bottom left corner, is this a common fault how could I go about fixing it?

what a load of tosh: frames are drilled for drainage at the bottoms,any way
mostly concealed drainage, if you have water getting to the head of the frame where the fixing is you have a problem, that needs addressing usually step fractures above the lintol sarking felt problem etc etc etc but not anything to do with fixing the head . just think about it,the fixing is not on the face of the brick the head is sealed so how do you get water on top of the frame? we recommend to our fitters that the bottom is not drilled but bedded on mortar to prevent water passing through the fixing
having broken through the drainage chambers.
been fitting windows 25 years,owned my own company for twenty of them and NEVER had water comming through a head fixing :eek:

even the council type boot lintel can be drilled you only need one good fixing and that will usually do the trick.

I don't know who woodys been arguing with but i've never heard that one I have heard several excuses because fitters cant be bothered to drill but not that one.

Just because you've been fitting windows for 25 years and have personally never seen this issue, does not remove the fact that water can get into the top of a hollow frame if it is drilled.

We have had several instances where water has seeped through a top fixing(s) and exited through gaps in the corner of the top beading and also along the bottom beading. After removing the sealed unit, brown staining was evident showing the waters path.

This occurred on solid and cavity masonry, but a connecting factor was that the elevation faced prevailing winds and rain - so saturation most likely played a part. If we do have to specify frames, we only use a top fixing through a drilled frame in specific circumsatnces.

BS 8213-4:2007 does allow for head fixings on frames wider than 1200mm, but also notes that foam is an acceptable method - but should not be the sole method of fixing of the whole frame

Agree on the foam but hate the bloody stuff it gets every where
especially on a instance like this where the frame has already been sealed, and if you put in too much the frame will end up distorted

any way did not sett out to cause offence to woody.and if hes experienced this on several occasions who am I to argue as we all go on our own personal experiences.and advise accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back