Potential movement????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've recently noticed that my window sill under my main lounge window is not straight, and appears to 'dip' at one end. Since I moved in I've had a sofa in front of the window so can't be sure if the 'dip' is a recent movement or if I've only just noticed it!

The wallpaper on the wall next to this window also appears to have bubbled a little. I peeled some away, and there was evidence of damp patches on the plaster, but not massively. I must also stress that the wallpaper is very old and could do with re-decoration.

Do people think it's some sort of water damage, or indicators of something more serious - subisdence?? I read that one indicator is bubbling wallpaper, although there isn't any of the other indicators such as sticking windows or big cracks.......

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Stick a photo of inside and out up, your description is too vague

You mean window board and not an external cill, don't you?

Any significant movement in the structure is going to show up as cracks in the wall or other movement in the frame. Or more significant the whole house will be leaning as one, without cracking!

If this timber board has been painted, you will see definite disturbance between it and the window frame or wallpaper edge if it has moved.

I'd say it has been always like it and the more you look at it the more it seems to have moved (even though you never noticed it before)

Whether you've got moisture penetration across the window jamb, or (more likely) a local cold spot causing condensation, is another matter

Thanks for the post Woody - useful points to a complete novice like me!!

I'll take a couple of pics and post up like Shytalkz suggests.

Sponsored Links
Any significant movement in the structure is going to show up as cracks in the wall or other movement in the frame. Or more significant the whole house will be leaning as one, without cracking
There you go making sweeping generalisations again, Woodster ;)

You sure it's not actually woodentop - he is a surveyor, after all :LOL: :LOL:

It's actually woodentyouliketogeneraliselikeme

But Mr or Sir will do:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back