new step, dpc problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to put a new step where a porch used to be.My dpc is at ground level with a 6 inch high concrete skirting[dont know what this is called] on top.My step will finish an inch below the top of this.Would this be a problem regarding rain splashback?or should I raise this [skirting].

Sponsored Links
most surveyors/architects/bco's, will accept that a step unintentionally contravenes the 150mm below dpc ruling.

in a lot of situations the step is either sheltered by a canopy or is merely splashing onto a doorway.

any chance of a photo?

is it some kind of a plinth you talk about?

hi noseall,
yes its a plinth that goes all way round house,the trouble is there is a side of my house at right angles to my door so the step would be up against this wall.When I demolished the old porch i left the floor for a while and used this as a step.I noticed damp inside where this floor was so I dug it up .Now I am doing my path I need to sort this step problem first .Im off to work know i will try to get a picture on tomorrow

The idea of 150 below DPC is to stop possible rain splash-back above the DPC leading to internal dampness. If the wall is sheltered, it wont be an issue. If its not, a coat of the wall with Thompsons or similar will do.

I can not understand why this 150 lark is still applied, when most if not all of todays walls are cavity and the tiny bit of water splashing above DPC has no significant impact at all

And in todays climate of level door thresholds and ramped access, no one worries about the rotting frame cills below ground level :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The idea of 150 below DPC is to stop possible rain splash-back above the DPC leading to internal dampness. If the wall is sheltered, it wont be an issue. If its not, a coat of the wall with Thompsons or similar will do.

I can not understand why this 150 lark is still applied, when most if not all of todays walls are cavity and the tiny bit of water splashing above DPC has no significant impact at all

And in todays climate of level door thresholds and ramped access, no one worries about the rotting frame cills below ground level :rolleyes:

pour y'self another scotch y' grumpy old git. :LOL:

hope these pics help ,the walls are solid,I will probably just replace [repair] plinth ,repoint,use that thompsons stuff,and if i need to i will put a canopy over door .
Should i do the plinth in one hit or does it need a scratch coat ?

i'm not getting what is going on below d.p.c. :confused: if there is a dpc that is. :eek:

i'm suspicious as to why there is mortar render below floor level in the first place. the lack of decent brickwork is mildly alarming.

what is that existing render covering?

is there a foundation?

is there a dpc?

it was not the plinth i was expecting.

If you click on the pic to enlarge, there is a dpc visible on the right hand side, just above the hoggin, two courses down from underside of door frame; clearer in the close up piccy. Looks like it had a step affair outside the door, with a bitumastic felt dressed up 150 above it.

Doesn't explain why the dpc is where it is, relative to the door threshold, though...

in answer to your qustions noseall
the existing render is covering 2 course of brick.The bottom of the render sits on the dpc
there is a foundation but its not very deep
the dpc is slate at ground level
the plinth isnt shown very well in the pictures,I took another picture showing the plinth intact but picture wouldnt download?,dont know why ,im not very good at this technical stuff,i'll try again tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back