Correct Spans for Decking (12" vs 16" on Center)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how I can confirm my spans are correct on the deck I plan to build?

My longest span is 8ft from a supported cross beam and I will be using Pressure Treated 2"x6" 's. I will also be using joist hangers.

It is near ground level (around 4-6" off ground)

I know 12" centers will be more then strong enough but Im afraid its overengineering.

Is 16" suitable given the details above?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
15" is what I would usually use, but you would prob get away with 16" if thats what you want. Do a test - sit your joists on the ground at the spacing you are thinking of - put a deck board over them and, with a person standing on each end, try the bounce test between two central joists. If it doesn't move much then you're in business.

Don't get too bogged down with exact sizes - its easy to over-engineer a simple ground level deck.

we set ours at 400mm (near as damn it 16"). as wabbitpoo says easy to over engineer, when not necessary. Our decks dont move, and im sure wabbitpoos dont either!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back