Putting up a new fence / Bamboo screening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im looking into putting up some bamboo screening, abt 6ft tall to hide our oil store and make a private area in the garden.

The area seems to atract wind, and the soil is nearly always damp so im after some advice.

Im thinking along the lines of fitting some 6ft posts 3x3 or 4x4 ? Then fitting some trelacing bedween them to then fasten the bamboo screenng to.

How deep shall a fit the posts? ie 6ft abve ground, 2ft under? will I be better using post spikes in concrete? to stop the timber posts rotting?

Does the trelacing need to be thier, or could i get away with batterns?

im looking at only a small area about 12ft long, so thaught about the posts just being 6ft appart? will that distance be too much?

Any pointers or advice greatly recieved....

Sponsored Links
6ft high, 2 ft in will be ok. Concrete them in as per advice on other fencing questions on here. You could use spikes concreted in if you wish. But the concrete is a must! Trowel the concrete just above ground level and chuck a shovel of pea shingle at the base for good measure.

2x2 should do it, use plenty, 4 or 5 between each set of posts, and a couple of diagonal ones across the back. Make sure all timber is pressure treated.

I^I^I^

I's are the posts, ^'s are the diagonal bracing which are joined to the posts at the bottom. (Horizontals omitted)

If you can spend the exta i'd go for the reed type screening (think that's what it's called) - As the Bamboo look rubish after a while, I had my entire garden wrapped in the stuff, and it looked really good at first, but then it started going brital and dis-coloured.

Cheers

thanks for the replys guys....

Im going to go for 4x4 posts... 8ft with 2ft in the ground. Concreted directly in the soil.

How big or small shal I make the hole for the posts?

Im also going to do the post work with batterns first, then decide on the type of screening we put up... Weve decided to do the full run of the garden with the stuff 30mtrs long. so ive a few post holes to dig.

Sponsored Links
Change of plan, im going for the 3x3 posts due to the cost... 8ft tall with six foot above ground level.

if it helps, about 2 years ago, i brought what can ony be described as very big pencils. They are about 8 foot tall, round and pointed (just like a pencil)

Sledge hammer and umpteen whacks later they went into the ground by about 2 feet. I then screwed inch x 1/2 timber to staple the screen to

screen.jpg

To the left i had to add another "strip" as the kids next door kept putting their hands through it (you can if you try hard enough)

dont have the bamboo version, as said it initilly looks nice but as its usually split bamboo it goes "funny"

behind the screening, i was standing on the "wrong" side when i fitted it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back