Raising a stone shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice on the best way to build a platform to raise a stone shower tray, its approx 900 x 900mm and is damn heavy!!!

Complicated to explain but due to the location of the waste, I really need to connect to it, however this will mean raising the tray by a good 6 inches!

Assume wood will be the best way, but what type? Way of fixing securely to floorboards? etc; etc......

Look forward to some helpful advice

Sponsored Links
build your self a 6 x 2 wooden plinth with 18mm ply on top.
mark and cut out access for the trap.

Any more thoughts on this one guys?

If I build a plinth out of 6 x 2 do I need to fix this to the floor boards or will the weight of the tray and would be enough to hold it all in place?

Many thanks

Another option is to use 100mm thermolite block set on a bed of sand/cement & then bed the tray on to that with the same mix, tap it down till it's at the right hight & level then leave to set.

Sponsored Links
Would fix to floor lessen any movement and remember to bed the tray down on a weak mix sand cement.

Forgiv my lack of knowledge, but whats a thermalite block? Is it like a breeze block? Are you saying to use half a dozen of these around the edges and middle of the tray and use the ply on the tray? Do I need to fix the ply to the tray in any way?was thinking something like gripfill!!

use what the mi say or your not covered for any guarentees.
how would you fix your plinth on bottom of tray to the breeze blocks.

Seco, your original reply to this was to build a 6 x 2 plinth, just trying to work out exactly what you mean by this, do you mean just build a frame out of 6 x 2 then fix the ply to it with a cut out for the trap, then just put the tray on top of this? Is it best to screw the frame to the floor boards as well?

get 4 x 6x2 spaced at 300mm centres approx then use noggins to join to gether gives you your base.
place 18mm ply on top and mark waste hole remove tray drill waste hole. but drill oversize as you don't screw waste to ply only tray.

use what mi say to secure tray to ply sand/cement, silicone, floor tiles adhesive etc.
and make sure you silicone the tray edges against the wall before placing tray in place.
decide what your using as a plinth first as you need to make you 6x2 the right length.

scan0003.jpg

ok-wink.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back