Is it just me or.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is this the CORRECT way to hang a door? I stumbled upon THIS

Apart from his technique,i was particularly impressed with his tool kit(not to mention his tattoo's)

All replies awaited

Sponsored Links
is this the CORRECT way to hang a door? I stumbled upon THIS

Apart from his technique,i was particularly impressed with his tool kit(not to mention his tattoo's)

All replies awaited

OOPS....i think i dropped a boll@ck trying to shorten the url.I cant seem to suss out even after reading how to!

Now who looks like a buffoon?!

Sponsored Links
I did watch the video, seemed fine to me, but then again i've never hung a door before, well not an internal one.
i've just purchased my first house so i'm doing as much research as possible!!

This video will be of use to someone who has never hung a door before and is doing research such as yourself.I am all for informative sites,forums etc but as a joiner myself who fits doors on a regular basis lets just say i may be being somewhat critical at such a videos.....

Some of the points i noticed are as follows;

1.It may seem that again im being quite picky but his pencil didnt have a point on it

2.His chisels looked as though he'd just found them in a skip(my flask is in better condition)

3.The plane he was using didnt seem to be the best choice of weapon,so to speak.

4.Im a great believer and follower of health & safety but as a personal choice of eye protection i always use the 'sunglasses' type specs as opposed to 'ski' goggles mainly because i find they steam up quickly and frequently.

I would still like to hear other peoples comments to see if im just being a tad bit critical of this video :eek:

Maybe the choice of tools was deliberate to reflect what often gets used at home. :LOL:

One point I think they could have made is checking to see if the door has a hinge and a lock side. (Many panel doors will have a block of wood fitted to mount the lock/tube latch into, this will only be fitted to one side for economy, printed along the top edge of the door will be hinge and lock to tell you which side to fit which to)

must get me one of those nice red doors :LOL:

agree with jaffa tools left a lot to be desired, I was actually taught 6 and 9 inch, not 6 inch in from either end for hinges. just an observation :?:
any way no worries about his choice of eye protection he was wearing them instead of a helmet cant actually remember seeing them over his eyes and i ll be dammed if i am going to watch it again to see.

PHEW!!!!! I thought it was just me......

Ive done a google search for 'RED DOORS' but in the end i had to admit defeat because valuable drinking time was being eaten up.

I could have gone on further with my criticisms but decided that enough was enough!!!

Im just gonna give myself a BIG pat on the back because ive written this without using spellcheck and with approx 10 pints of snakebite down my neck(see time of post).

Speak to you guys soon,ive got to be up early because ive got 10 internal doors to hang tomorrow....i'll probably manage about 6,but that depends if i can see what im doing through my steamy goggles. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :eek:

well he certainly isnt a professinal,aiming the chisel towards his meat and 2 veg for a start,i agree with another poster about the 6-9 inches thats what i was taught,you should always check to see what the other doors in the area are set at,he should use a marking gauge or carefully use a knife to mark the hinge cutout,his pencil wasnt sharp and was the wrong grade(leaves to bigger line)he reduced the o/a height of the door by 1/4 inch(i always check the floor for level)he didnt check wether the floor was level,and he didnt take the arris off the door.
and a handy tip for anyone doing more then 1 door,use a measuring rod to transfere the measurements etc on to other doors and frames.saves an awful lot of time continusley measuring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back