Blocking up a doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be removing a door and frame from an internal, non-load bearing wall, and blocking the opening up. A new shower will be positioned against the new wall.

Am I best to use blocks again and then get a plasterer in. Or should I use battens and plasterboard it (stud)? If I use plasterboard won't I have difficulties getting the correct wall thickness so you can't see the join against the extg plaster/wall. i.e. if the new stud is 10mmm thiner than the extg block wall then you will see the join. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
you can use either but i would use masonry and wet plaster.

thickness wise stud or masonry will make little difference.

if i were to stud, then i would set the studs to accommodate aquapanel on the shower side and regular 12.5mm plasterboard the other.

i would buy the correct size studs to afford me these sizes. if the wall thickness means you are in between sizes then go for a thinner stud and build up the plasterboard with bonding. this will involve thickening with thistle bonding prior to skimming.

if you do stud out, don't forget to include some noggins to deal with the shower enclosure fixings. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back