Building a garden step - photos uploaded with plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks

I've looked in other threads to save putting one up but can't find what I'm after

I'll be building a step into the middle of the two sleeper walls. It won't be a whole sleeper's length wide, but a flagstone width of 600mm.

Do I need to dig tout he entire space for the step, right to the bottom level of all of it? Or just dig out each layer?

I was going to create boxes almost with railway sleepers and then fill them with compacted hardcore and then mortar and stone.

I'm up to speed with many things in the garden these days, but not quite sure which way to attack this one.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
the way we do it is dig out eah step, build the sleeper box, and use some supporting pegs at the back if necessary, then backfill it. Very easy to do

Digging the step out first it is then.

Am I right with waht needs to go into it? Do I need 4 inches hardcore then mortar etc?

And to confirm, the boxes sit on the soil themselves? No need to put posts in to fix the sleeper box to?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Problem.

In addition to what I've just mentioned above, I've been out in the snow with the tape measure. If I do it this way that means I'm going to lose a lot of lawn space as the steps will start around 2.4m before the end.

Can I run what I think are two options by you?

1. reduce the width of the steps from 600mm to something a bit less? But can't see how much less I can go without making them too narrow to walk on.

2. build the steps side on and paralell to what will be the patio area? Can this be done?

I think the second option might cause a few problems in terms of security of the steps

If I was to go for option 2, which is looking more favourable, are there any issues with how they are dug out? As you can see There already a bit of a void behind the sole middle sleeper. Will I need to build this back up? And will it be a case of digging the whole lot out side on, and almost builiding an identical sleeper wall the other side (towards the house), to which I can build back up and fix the steps onto.

Cheers

Right, taking into account everything I've mentioned above. Below is four photos of the area where the step is going

Also here is a very basic (!) drawing I have come up with which I think is an option (???).

Looking at the bottom drawing (Frontal View) Do I need to put sleepers 1,2,3 in place as cross bracing supports. Or just No. 1 for the slab to rest on?

If it's 1,2,3, then do I fill the void left with soil, then hardcore, then mortar? If it's just No.1, do I fill the whole 'box' with hardcore, soil, or could I use gravel for some of it as I'll have some spare?

Many thanks

Afternoon folks

Anyone got any feedback on this one?

Cheers

the sleepers can be single. they should have enough support once its all backfilled and from the surrounding structure, or you can always use a support post.

are you sitting the slabs inside the sleepers or over them? If its the later then it may not last long term as the wood will move at differential rates to the mortar. we always inset them like this

Thanks Thermo, that's a great help.

Just a few things: -

1. Should it be back filled with soil, hardcore, then mortar, all in steps if you like from left to right?
2. Do I need a whacker (sic?) plate to compact everything or will something else do?
3. I've now realised that as there'll be a big drop between lawn and patio that I'll have to put up some sort of rail to save my young daughter from going head over heels! I guess I could fix the rail to the existing sleeper support post could i?

Thanks again

shall i come and build this for you, it will be done quicker! :LOL:

1: yes

2: no, just use a rammer, or a length of a sleeper to do it

3:yes

Top man

No more questions now for a while....maybe!

Cracking on with this one now. Should have the step finished soon. Before I asked if I could build the 'interior' of the step back up with soil, then hardcore and then mortar.

To help with drainage, could I just go gravel, hardcore and then mortar and not bother with soil? Or would the gravel base be too unstable for the hardcore and mortar?

Many thanks

your worrying too much about drainage. the hardcore will be sufficent free draining material for the stpes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back