Quick regulation 'quiz' question on cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help please on this seemingly random regulation question.

In what year was the regulation released that cavity walls had to be insulated?

Any help welcome. Ta. Scott.

Sponsored Links
From the 1970s after the oil shortage and since then has got thicker and thicker and thicker.
Pete

I recall that cavity walls came in mid 70's (1976?) but that was a clear cavity with thermalite type block to get a u-value of 1.0

I think actually putting insulation into the cavity was around 1984-86 time to get a lower uvalue (0.6?)

I guess 1986
(but there is no reg making you have a insulated cavity wall as it of course could be soild with internal/external insulation ;) )

There is no regulation that says a wall must have insulation in the cavity. There are regs that say a wall must reach a certain U-value - which in the old days could have been achieved in different ways other than cavity insulation.

For example, my house was built in 1988 and has no cavity wall insulation. What it does have are 125mm internal thermalite turbo blocks and dry lining. Which in 1988 complied with the minimum required U-Value. At the time external and internal insulation was also widely used and this too would have achieved the minimum U without cavity insulation.

Having said that, U-Values jumped in 1992 and I think that was the year that cavity insulation became popular.

Sponsored Links
maybe he's looking at moving house and wants to get an idea of whether its insulated or not, you can't really trust the sellers nowadays??

Its generally taken that all domestic properties built after 1930 will be built with cavity walls.

But its not clear cut that your property will be solid wall construction between 1900 - 1930.

In SE England its as likley to have a cavity as not from 1900s onwards. My property was built in 1906 with cavity walls but the same style property 2 doors up built in 1908 is solid wall construction.

In a lot of cases back in the early 1900s it was down to the bricklayer employed on the job.

Easiest way to tell if you can see your brickwork is to check the way the bricks are laid - if they are all long side its a cavity wall, if you have one long side and one end laid its a solid wall.

Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back