Yale XBS1 nightlatch backset size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

just come across this forum. There's certainly lots of useful shared knowledge.

I'm about to move into a flat and I'd like to fit a chunky Nightlatch to the front door. The Yale XBS1 looks to be the weapon of choice in conjunction with a 5 lever BS321 motice lock.

I've been round to measure the existing nighlatch - the length from the edge of the door to the centre of the cylinder is 51mm (2")

The Yale XBS1 lists a backset size of 60mm. I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit the lock and use the existing hole?

Many thanks

Pufferfish

Sponsored Links
not really as the backset as its known on your new lock would be 60mm.if your a decent joiner/diy er you could always fashion a large dowel,make it a snug fit and glue/tap it into the old hole,sand and repaint/stain over the week then fit the new lock where the old one was,your new bs3621 mortice lock being your way of securing the lock in the meantime.

another solution,not my preferred method is finger plates over the existing holes,refit the new lock above/below as required,a cheap fix and it leaves the frame looking a mess

Thanks for the reply.

My carpentry is at a level where I'm confident in installing locks but not so sure I want to be knocking dowels together.

It seems 99% of the nightlatches on the market are either 40mm or 60mm backset. I eventually found a half decent one with a 50mm backset.
http://www.randrsecurity.com/p/p-union_drawback_double_locking_nightlatch-1916.aspx

Obviously not kitemark or as strong as the Yale but I'm also going for one deadlock 1/3 and another 2/3 down the front door. The door has a large glass window so don't want to take chances. Defence in depth! :D

Cheers,
Pufferfish.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back