bad patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry: i have recently had a patio laid by a builder who has gone bust, the patio having cost 1000's is rubbish as it has a swimming pool effect once it rains..The main puddle , or should i say pool ,occurs at the bottom of two large steps ,so you walk out of the kitchen/diner down two steps into a pool. I have had various quotes to fix this which again are 1000's . So I am v.v.v.p.off ,as i am stuck with this situation ,I can't sue anyone for a bad job as there is noone to sue !! The patio not only has insufficient fall but also was done in the winter, not protected from the frost so all the mortar is soggy when it rains. Is there anyone out there who can help suggest a quick, cheap fix that will sove this problem. Can i install a drain along the length of the step (approx 3metres), what do i do about soggy mortar ?? Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
just an idea,if your thinking of installing a drain?would it not be cheaper and easier to dig a trench and pour in some peabeach thus letting the water soak away(if it can)im sure this is something you could do?

Mortar will all need raking out and doing properly, but no point in that if the patio is still wrong. If you have one puddle I dont see how it would cost 1000 to put right, but obviously I haven't seen the job. Any chance of pics?

just an idea,if your thinking of installing a drain?would it not be cheaper and easier to dig a trench and pour in some peabeach thus letting the water soak away(if it can)im sure this is something you could do?

Is peabeach shingle? Can this be done near to house as keep thinking the water may cause damp in the kitchen ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Mortar will all need raking out and doing properly, but no point in that if the patio is still wrong. If you have one puddle I dont see how it would cost 1000 to put right, but obviously I haven't seen the job. Any chance of pics?

Ive been told that because fall isnt enough the whole patio has to come up level changed and then slabs put down gulp !! could send photos but just doing this is enough techno for me !! thanks

Ive been told that because fall isnt enough the whole patio has to come up level changed and then slabs put down gulp !! could send photos but just doing this is enough techno for me !! thanks
Also does anyone know if there is anything like a permeable mortar available, mad though it may sound ,as this may be an option if it exists !!

silt!

any rain storm will wash silt, dirt and mud along with the water, into the drainage material.

it will soon become clogged and useless unless 'constructed' properly.

a lot of people simply do not get granular drainage. you can not drill a few holes in slabs, or dig a little hole and put some gravel in it, or take a slab out and loosen the soil.

any drainage has to be built properly and in layers. big storms require adequate drainage.

take the patio up and get Thermo or Wabbit to build it with falls to adequate drainage.

or me. :rolleyes: :LOL:

so i really have no option other than to take it all up are you sure no other solution ?? :cry:
silt!

any rain storm will wash silt, dirt and mud along with the water, into the drainage material.

it will soon become clogged and useless unless 'constructed' properly.

a lot of people simply do not get granular drainage. you can not drill a few holes in slabs, or dig a little hole and put some gravel in it, or take a slab out and loosen the soil.

any drainage has to be built properly and in layers. big storms require adequate drainage.

take the patio up and get Thermo or Wabbit to build it with falls to adequate drainage.

or me. :rolleyes: :LOL:

If there is only one place the water puddles I dont see why you'd take it all up, unless the whole patio drains to that point, of course.

Pour a bucket of water on the dry patio, and watch where it drains. If most of the run-off goes where you want it, then its prob just the bit by the steps thats the problem.

if you want pleasure from your patio and want the drainage to work then seek a permanent solution.

don't try and cobble stuff together, build things properly and have a lasting job. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back