Fitting a yale onto a UPVC door??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can you fit a yale lock onto a upvc door for extra security? The door has working locks but i want something extra that will lock on closing in case anyone ever forgets to lock up the front door when they're leaving the house.

My concerns are that drilling into the door may damage it or damage its locking system.

Thanks for any advice.

Al

Sponsored Links
would not recommend you try this.
have seen many previous attempts even as far as some one ruining the door.
depending on type of locking you have you can retro fit an upgrade if you feel additional security is required.

see if your current mechanism can be replaced with one with the yale function built in,its also possable that this function can be enabled on your existing one with just a change in handles,depends on your make/model.

Sponsored Links
Im a locksmith why not upgrade to a more high security euro cylinder - be easier and cheaper than replacing a mech that cn cost you £150... If you live in London way then *************

Cheers Craig

The most vulnerable part of any UPVC door is the panel.

One good kick and the thing will pop out.

If security bothers you I'd replace the lot with a good quality solid hardwood door and hardwood outerframe.
Then you can add as many different locks/bolts as you like.

Im a locksmith why not upgrade to a more high security euro cylinder - be easier and cheaper than replacing a mech that cn cost you £150... If you live in London way then *************

Cheers Craig

The OP is looking for a way to "lock" a UPVC door on closing it - like a yale nightlatch. Simply upgrading the Euro (the weakest part of the door security) will not solve his problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back