Fixed Price Boiler Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that Scottish/British Gas offer a fixed price repair for £164, but does anyone know of a better deal than this?

Also, if I call a plumber/boiler engineer, how likly am I to find one that will come out and quote for free in the way that a roofer would?

Any info on the average price for repairing a boiler (problem described in my Ravenheat post) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I know that Scottish/British Gas offer a fixed price repair for £164, but does anyone know of a better deal than this?

Also, if I call a plumber/boiler engineer, how likly am I to find one that will come out and quote for free in the way that a roofer would?

Any info on the average price for repairing a boiler (problem described in my Ravenheat post) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Depends what the fault is really. You could pay £164 fee for a £10 part or a £300 part.

Most engineers will charge a call out fee to a faulty boiler with the intention of fixing it.

Big companies will probably do a free callout to price a repair, or someone who is short of work.

Cannot see why anyone would want to treck to a boiler, look at it/ diagnose defect, price materials (waste time), tell client what is wrong free gratis.

There are jobs (like pump changes) that are a set price (access permitting and valves not leaking and are functional). Boiler failures can at times be easy and on occassions a can of worms when everything goes belly up. When companies do fix price repairs, they are banking on majority of calls being minor, so are in pocket.

You have a good chance of a free visit to quote for a new installation but you don't expect somebody to call out spend time diagnosing a fault and not charge you for that visit so you can look for somebody to fit the parts cheaper ?

Sponsored Links
Or to diagnose the fault which you then repair yourself.

If I go to a boiler and its not working Diagnostics cost. If occupier objects then i walk. the only exception I have had to this rule is the little old lady who's boiler required resetting. couldn't find it in my heart to charge her as i was passing on my way home.

Interesting, I have a no fix no fee policy ? How about you. Say you went out diagnosed a fault pcb £390 say customer declines you to replace part. Ie ( boiler not fixed) do you charge a diagnostic fee????

I will give an estimated total to repair over then phone based on what is described to me but that does NOT include saying what I think may be wrong!

I charge a fixed price diagnostic fee for all visits. When thats paid then they can do the repair themselves or get someone else. Although thats rare as I only charge for any parts required in most cases. In about 40% of cases no parts are required so the diagnostic fee is all thats paid.

Tony Glazier

I love Agile, he's the only guy in here that makes any sense.

i charge for diagnosing a problem and offer the customer the choice of me fixing it for x amount. I never tell the "interested DIY type" the exact problem as i have in the past and never heard off him again. i don t want it on my conscience if he decides to miss out the middleman and fix it himself.

£75 diagnosis fee

That's fraud then because you haven't diagnosed it at all.

you crank, i am not fraudulent, i am giving a very brief description of a service in a couple of lines on an internet forum !

£75 gets you all checks on the boiler, whether its viable to fix/replace and if you are a normal punter i will tell you whats wrong. if you are the diyer, showing too much interest i will offer you a fee to replace a part which will include the £75 diagnosis fee.

go suck a lemon

If I employ a structural engineer to give me figures for the support of a load-bearing wall - then that's what he gives me. He doesn't hold back just in case I might do the job myself.

FFS typical gas bod up his own A-hole. You are a fraudster. A crook. A crim.

Geddit yet?

That's fraud then because you haven't diagnosed it at all.

I charge £500 for a diagnosis , if it runs over 15 minutes then £300 per 30 minutes , almost in all cases it's the fuffle valve , my contact details are in my profile should you wish to contact me joe90.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back