Hip Roof - mono trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How should the mono trusses on a hip roof be attached to the girder truss, are nails go enough.

Any advice gratefully received.

Bill

Sponsored Links
But if my mono trusses are only attached with 2 nails each to the girder truss, and some of these nails missed and can be seen sticking out of the side, do I have a problem. If so how is it fixed??

Bill

I've taken a couple of photographs, one shows how the mono trusses have been nailed to the girder truss and the other is where the hips meet at the ridge level. I have two questions that I would appreaciate expert advice on; if truss hangers are to be used how can they now be fitted and should there be some kind of support for the hips where the meet at the ridge level of the trussed rafter.

Kind regards,

Bill

Sponsored Links
There should be hangers off the beam, but the top of the hip can be nailed.

It may be possible to flatten a hanger and slide it under the truss between the plaster board, then bend it back up and nail it. Otherwise, they could use a right angle bracket each side of the truss

Woody,

Thanks for your advice, but none of the mono trusses are correctly fixed and Zurich and the local Councils Building Control Department didn't see this fault (and a load of others) and issued their certificates. Can we get them to pay for their oversight as we've been told that new builders will have to cut large holes in our livingroom and bedroom ceilings to fit the correct hangers. If this isn't done correctly the truss rafter manufacturer wouldn't honour our guarantee. There are also a number of other faults with the birds mouth cuts going over 60% through the hip beams and loads of nailing problems so we might have to have the hips removed and fitted correctly.

I was looking for confirmation that hangers should have been fitted and you've confirmed this, there's too many cowboys out there!!

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Regards,

Bill

Really this is a girder truss shoe, not just a hanger (but most people call them that)

johasgts.jpg

Zurich Solid Foundation states

"Mono-pitched trusses are fixed to girder trusses by metal shoes. The bearing of mono-pitched trusses onto the mild
steel proprietary girder shoe should be confirmed with the
roof designer before site installation is attempted."

Also nailing into end-grain is not really a good method of fixing timber - let alone trusses

I'm not sure that the other items you mentioned would make the roof structurally unsound. They may be just quality issues, which could be outside of the BCO's remit

Get a cost for the remedial work, and contact the LA explaining the situation and that you feel that the inspection regime was inadequate and that you are now faced with a cost of £x amount for remedial work and the truss manufacturers warranty to be valid. Ask them to respond with their opinion within ten days.

Your recovery options are then with the Local Government Ombudsman, and/or via a civil claim (small claim).

If you are going to try for compensation, then you would need an expert report from either the truss manufacturer, or other suitably qualified person

Woody,

Firstly a big thank you for your advice. I've now been reading up on the subject of roof construction and I have another question for you regarding the girder trusses,

Should girder trusses, that are basically made up from 2 or more trussed rafters, be bolted together. Is this to increase their strength. You've np doubt guessed that our's have the odd nail keeping them together.

You also mentioned a Zurich document for roof construction is this freely available on the internet.

Regards,

Bill

Girder trusses are fixed together to make a stronger unit, and the fixings should be able to transfer loads between each individual truss so that it acts as one.

I can't find anything defacto after a quick search to say that trusses must be bolted (but there may be), and if nails or coach screws etc are used then these may be adequate - but perhaps not just some random nailing.

Zurich's manual states that "Multiple trussed rafters may be specified for a particular purpose. The trussed rafters may be delivered to site already fastened together. Alternatively, fixing together on site of multiple rafters may be necessary, in which case full details will be necessary from the roof designer"

So you may have to refer to the designer or the truss manufacturer.

Zurich's technical manual "Solid Foundation 2005" is not available for free online AFAIK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back