Using gripfill on brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to gripfill my wooden window boards onto brickwork reveals. The bricks are completely bare - do I need to PVA them or something before I attempt to fix the window boards with gripfill or can I stick the gripfill directly onto the bare bricks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
why don't you dab a plasterboard onto the masonry first then stick the window boards to the plasterboard?

or better still, use evo stick - sticks like s**t.

yes you can,just give it a good brush off or hoover,but why dont you just drill and screw it down using packers then using expanding foam fill in the gaps.

I've read about using the plasterboard underneath the window board elsewhere, is this purely so that you can level it of easily with the dabs of plaster underneath ready to accept the window board on top?

So if I understand this correctly, lay a piece of plasterboard (the same size as the window board roughly) from the front edge of the reveal to the back of the window frame (thereby bridging the cavity gap) and the use something like gripfill or pink grip to glue the window board to the plasterboard afterwards?

I initially thought that I could level out the window boards on the grab adhesive itself if I used id liberally.

Sponsored Links
the plasterboard will bond extremely well to the masonry, via drywall adhesive dabs.

so good in fact that you would need to use considerable force to remove it.

this method, as you say, affords the user the chance to level the substrate very accurately no matter how bad the masonry.

it's then a simple cas of same size blobs of adhesive and squash the board on.

soooo easy.

Thanks Noseall.

Do you need to do any prep work to the bricks, apart from making sure you've removed any dust and alike?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back