erecting a fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have to erect a new fence with 8ft concrete posts and 5ft feather edge panels which will sit on top of a 1ft high retaining wall.
The posts at both ends will be up against house walls.
as I have to dig a 2ft hole for the posts am I likely to come into contact with the foundations, if so how can I over come this. Also is there likely to be a problem with rising damp if the posts are bridging the damp course. If so how can this be avoided.

thanks charlier.

Sponsored Links
cut the post if you hit foundations.

put plenty of concrete at the base.

the weight of this concrete plus the fact that it is against a wall and sitting on foundations, will help keep it put.

you could also screw it to the wall but i don't think this will be necessary.

Thanks Noseall, that sounds like a sensible solution.

Has any body got any suggestions regarding the rising damp problem.

Hi

What noseall is suggesting is exactly what I did a few months ago, albeit with wooden posts. I chopped the bottom off, filled small hole with concrete, and fixed the post to the wall with galvanised coach screws and plugs. To be safe, I also put in an 'extra' post just a few feet away to ensure stability.

Seems to work fine so far

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back