Small Patio Garden Problem (Drainage, Sloping, Levels)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Really hoping someone can help me out here...

I am in the process of renovating my small patio garden (approx 6m x 5m - terraced house). The main problem is that the garden slopes towards the house not away from it.

I have cleared the existing patio (nightmare) and with some more digging could probably make it slope away. However, the problem for me is drainage. There are two drains feeding into one manhole. The two drains are situated directly against the back of the house. Therefore, if I made the patio slope away from the house it would have nowhere to go - the surface water would just head towards the raised flower bed.

Perhaps this is why the previous patio sloped towards the house? Most sites advise that the patio should always slopw away from the house - but I was thinking of just engineering some drainage to cope with the fact that it slopes towards the house?

One solution I was thinking of would be to install a linear drainage running against the house wall bit like a driveway (between the two drains - please see diagram image). This way all water could collect in the gully and run off into one of the two drains? Is this sensible?

The other issue is that the immediate part near the house is all concrete. Is it safe to cut this - old victorian house - could it affect foundations (sorry! I am new to the outdoors thing!)? Also there distance between the manhole and the house is quite narrow but should be wide enough to accomodate the linear drain.

Anyone have any thoughts - much appreciated. I have attached a link to an image showing a rough plan of my garden.

Cheers,

James

Sponsored Links
Looks like I might have to pay the bucks and get in some professionals :cry:

Anyone got any ideas? - most projects on the forum seem to be pretty big compared to mine...

I did something similar to you a few weeks ago. Not really that difficult. I just takes time, confidence and some spade work. . That is where I got all of my tips.
2326643502_b0a4da055b.jpg

Great stuff - thanks very much for this. Just bought an angle grinder as there is a load of concrete to get through in order to lay the drain - I will also have to reroute some of the pipe work for one of the drains which will be a bit of a bummer.

Looks like a neat job - which type of linear drain did you use?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to but in, but Bobby, i noticed your hose reel, what's it like would you recommend it, as i am after one like that, that is easy to real in :)

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back