Cavity trays, do they get used????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are three or four single storey extensions that have gone up near me in the last three years, all of which butt up to the side of the house. While it is clear that a lead flashing has been used & chased into the exisitng brickwork, there is noe evidence (ie. bricks removed & fresh mortar joints) that cavity trays have been installed above the flashing!

I WILL be using trays myself, but I just wondered whether some folks don't bother. TBH I'm surprised the BCO didn't spot it......

Sponsored Links
maby it is possible to install the trays from below the flashing, in which case you would not be able to see the bricks that have been removed?

we never retro-fit cavity trays here in staffs and are never asked to do so by b.c.

fitting them as part of a new build would be wise though.

i have only ever known of one instance where a c.t. would have done some good. this was during a freak weather period whereby it rained for about a week, mostly in one wind-driven direction.

different areas are subject to different weather conditions. if you live near the coast then i would say cavity trays are essential.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, to add to this my house has full fill "loose" cavity wall insulation & I've got this vision of chopping bricks out to retro-fit trays & all the cavity insulation above me come pouring out!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back