Arghhhhhhhhh Why can't i get a level tilth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Entering the final stretch of my mammoth garden overhaul.
For those who have followed thanks for the advice and for those new ones here's a brief summary.

All turf and 2" of clay removed from 80sq mtr garden, 5 x 10mtr land drains installed 0.6-0.8 mtr deep, 3 tonne gravel, 2 tonne sharp and 10 tonne of soil introduced into the garden. Rotovatered and "levelled"

Now i am preparing the ground for the turf and no matter how many times i think it looks level i look at it from another angle and i can see loads of low points and high areas. Attack these and look from another angle and ..........you get the picture.

So, how do i get a level area ready to lawn over. Any tips hints and tricks anyone can share ??

Sponsored Links
Every time you dig it, it will settle uneven.

harrow it (if big). Rake it (if not) to loosen the surface

Then use a Lute to level the small bumps and hollows. I can try to describe it but you may find pics on a lawnmaking or bowling-green website.

Make up a heap of dry, sandy top-dressing to apply to the remaining hollows.

p.s. if you have a heavy clay soil, rake in gypsum plaster (as dry powder). It really does improve the texture to make it more granular. If you can get any bags of date-expired plaster cheap from a builders merchant or plsterer, itr will still do the job unles the bags have gone solid. Then you will have to break them up with a hammer.

best way by far is to lay levelling soil over the area.

failing that get the soil down to a very fine tilth.

rake it roughly level by eye, and then lightly compact it by walking over it. Re-rake it.

then pull a straight edge across the top of it eg a length of timber or an aluminium ladder.

levelling soil is the easiest and best way to go though!

When the surface is quite loose, I think the best way (and the most fun!) is to use, as Thermo says, an aluminium ladder. You can then scrape it back and forth as you crawl backwards over the area, or you could tie rope to each end, put something of medium weight (such as s few bricks on a plank) on the ladder, and scrape it that way.

Sponsored Links
LuteLuteLuteLute

levelawn_lutes.jpg

Levelawn%20A.jpg

http://www.oaksmeadow.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=83&P_ID=179
http://www.stewartsturf.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=236
http://www.jubilee-seeds.co.uk/acatalog/lutes.html

well, the way this thread is going there wont be mushroom for any more amusing comments.
I have combined a few of the comments and now have a much better surface.
Bought a sharp ended small rake and a 3ft pro rake with a levelling head one side and wide forks on the other, scratched at the lumps with the small rake , raked with the big one then flipped it over and levelled.
Gave the whole garden a once over with a scaffold board to locate any hidden delves and now having identified them i have a few bags of topsoil ready to fill when i turf on Saturday.

Many thanks to all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back