Pond construction

to follow on from JasonB.

you make a gravel filter or a read filter, it blocks a lot, you build a brush chamber, add a vortex, then wonder why the water is still green, you have no UV

I dont wish to sound (is it condesending?) but as I first said are you sure you want a koi pond? there really is a heck of a lot more to it than meets the eye. some even have gas boilers to heat the water

One thing i forgot to mention :oops: an aproximation of filter size is 1/3 of the pond surface area minimum.

stear clear of gravel filters, as jasonB says it will clog (imagine cleaning a car with a sponge and you dont rinse it, how dirty would it get? you cant squeeze a gravel filter , you can a sponge)

You dont need one, but have you heard of a sand filter?
it is as the name implies, a filter full of sand, BUT they are a sealed container and have a lever to control what they do, one of the options is backwash, it sends water the wrong way in order to clean all the junk out, you then send it to waste, you cant do that with a gravel filter, you have to do as jasonB says, dig it ALL out by hand, suppose you have 1 tonne if it, take you all week end to clean it.

I wish you luck andplease post more, but i think you have not looked into a koi pond enough, and as i mentioned you have said nothing of a UV.

a pump and bottom drain is not good enough.

suggestion.

google for an aquatics centre near you, go an have a look at what they have. or better still, ask, pond owners / people love to "show off" what they have. just don't ask the cost.

Sponsored Links
You could look at the koiquest site for lots of helpful information on building your koi pond.

I too agree with everything which has already been mentioned.

Koi keeping can seriously damage your bank balance.

Good luck.

and the worst of it is aparently they dont taste nice either (even with chips and s & v)

Sponsored Links
You could look at the koiquest site for lots of helpful information on building your koi pond.

I too agree with everything which has already been mentioned.

Koi keeping can seriously damage your bank balance.

Good luck.

Totally agree, I have had a koi pond for a good few years now. I have been there and spent the money, and they are not cheap to maintain. I have recently converted mine to a more natural pond, I have introduced plants and a few more types of fish etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back