landscaping fabric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking to run some perforated drainage piping in my garden. I have done some research and it is recommended to cover the pipe in Geotextile material to prevent silting up of the pipes.

Is landscapping fabric the same as Geotextile as description wise it seems the same but is half the price. So guess my question is....can i use lanscapping material to reduce costs instead of the Geotextile stuff.

thanks very much

Trevor

Sponsored Links
I have just laid 30 mtrs of land drain and was informed that the fabric isn't entirely necessary.
It is there prolong the life of the drain by keeping a barrier between the soil and the gravel, it helps prevent the soil from seeping into the pipe and clogging the holes.
A landscaper friend informed me that the dirty water still gets through and will clog the pipe up, (in many years), he just advised me to make sure i put enough gravel beneath , to the side and on top of the pipe.
All pipes are down and appear to be working well, big test will be when i get my turf down next week

Ah ok thanks for the reply...trouble is i have bought the lanscapping material now and can't return it so am wondering if it is ok to use or if it will not work like the geotextile stuff.

thanks
Trevor

So long as it is water-permeable it should be OK I would think. Don't over-engineer the project!

Sponsored Links
landscaping fabric is not the same, especially teh cheaper tissue paper stuff from the diy sheds. Thats why its cheap!

Dont use lit as it will clog up a lot quicker. As wabbitpoo says dont over engineer it( we keep on saying that dont we!). A good granular surround will keep it clear and working for many years. We veryu rarely se it when we put land drainage in.

ok thanks for replies guys and point taken. I will just go with the pipe and good amount of granular chippings.

cheers
Trevor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back