Knock Through?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am at the "I have had a good idea stage" :idea: but not sure if its going to be worth the hassle.

I have a house with an internal garage above that garage is a bedroom. This is set back from the front of the house which leaves a loft space "void" in the garage. I had this idea of knocking through from the bedroom and creating a cupboard space in the void.

The wall I would have to knock through is the outside wall and is sat on an RSJ. going across the garage. My plan was to put another RSJ across the garage, build a wall including cavity upto the roof line, put a floor in and then this would become an internal cupboard.

Lintels would have to go across the first wall I am knocking through.

Any ideas comments appreciated, I guess I may need planning permission etc and it may be one of those ideas not worth the effort. The idea seems easy enough which usually means a lot more work is involved :D

diagram.bmp
[/img]

Sponsored Links
there is no need for a secondary rsj.

what you are proposing can be done with timber and without the need for planning permission.

you will need support the new opening though. lintelling will depend upon how wide the proposed opening will be?

Thanks noseall

The room width is 9' and I was planning an opening of 5'6 so would need a lintel.

It would give me much needed storage in the bedroom, but then again she will only fill it with c**p :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back