Boiler: Ideal Icos HE24 display off and no hot water no heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Ideal ICOS HE24 condensing boiler (unvented system) and we have no hot water and no heat.

The central heating programing unit is on and controls the automatic valves. What is not working is the boiler itself. It is completely off. Usually there is a green light on and you can hear the spark. Today it is dead.

What should I do? Can I do something myself? Should I call someone? Who?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
HI

carry out simple checks
check/replace fuse
make sure all external controls are calling for heat/hot water

I think that all controls are OK. Fuse seems to be OK. When I remove it the main display turns off and when fuse is inserted, display with CH/HW turns on.

The problem is that there is no pilot light on the boiler unit...

Thats because it doesn't have a pilot light. It's electronic ignition.

If the display is dead, although you seem to contradict your self on this, then it will be the pcb blown.

Sponsored Links
Sorry that the display issue was not clear. There are 2 displays:
1) the display on the boiler unit and this is dead
2) the display for the central heating i.e. where you can select the timer for the central heating/hot water etc. and this one is OK

So I guess the PCB is dead :( Do you know what I should do next? Tried to call British Gas and nobody is available right now...only Monday or Tuesday.

There is no sign of life in the boiler at all.

I think that the power supply to the boiler is OK because it is the same source as the central heating "timer" unit. The water pressure to the boiler is also OK: around 1.5bar so something is wrong inside the boiler.

I opened it up yesterday to check is there was a fuse or something but could not see anything suspicious. Everything was dry etc.

There was a big black box containing the PCB and a warning sign indicated that the part was not servicable.

Do you know if I can buy the PCB somewhere? What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Call Ideal in on fixed price call, £210. All parts included. It will cost you about another £100 on top if a local chap fixes it.

before u change the pcb do 2 simple checks.first it has been known for the mains plug to vibrate loose on this xxxx sorry ideal boiler make sure it fully pushed in .second there is a small fuse on the pcb check it with a continuity tester it is a little black peg sticking out of the pcb. and of course make sure u isolate the boiler before doing this

No hot water?
Doesn't your hot water cylinder have a backup electric immersion heater? Look for a thick cable coming off it going to a wall plate with a switch....

Thank you all for your help.

There was indeed a switch for back-up electric heater in the boiler which means we have hot water.

I have called a plumber so let's see what he finds...I will let you know if it was the PCB or something else.

A local company has started the job. Conclusion is that PCB needs to be replaced and it will now cost me at least 340 quid!

Is the "fixed price" repair you mention by BG really fixed price? I.e. if the repair cost would have been 30 quid or 500 quid, they still charge the same?

If this is correct then I should really have gone with BG but now it's too late :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back