concrete mix for garden blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to edge my front drive with blocks which will be about six inches high and three inches thick. the reason for making these myself is that I need a large radius on one top edge to avoid damage to my car tyres should I get too close.

Additionally. I plan to set low voltage marker lights into the sides of those blocks nearest the road to facilitate entering my driveway after dark.

Making these myself will enable me to cast the holes for the lights and cabling.

I used to have a book on concrete mixes but not having used it for some years I can't find it.

I intend to make a wooden image of the block and cast a mould in fibreglass cloth and resin, but I would appreciate guidance on the right mix of concrete to use to use.

I was also considering colouring the blocks, so advice on how to go about this would also be welcome.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
success will depend upon a few things.

the mix would need to be fatty and strong. so, the smaller aggregate i.e. pea gravel will be the best option - say 6 parts gravel 2 parts sharp sand and 1.5 cement.

the moulds will need to be vibrated to remove all the air within the concrete. this could be done with a hammer drill somehow.

i would let the blocks cure naturally for at least two weeks to harden. they will continue to harden for some time after this period but more slowly.

i have never attempted such a task and believe results to be mediocre at best, especially for the diyer. the problem is size and the fact that you will be weakening a small object even further by adding conduit holes.

can you not find a supplier willing to make you some?

we would lay they HB/BN Main Unit LK, for a job like yours, running any armour lighting cable buried behind them,
and with a sds drill & core bit drill out the blocks that take the lights first then set them in the run as needed.
all edging should be set on and backed up with concrete.
http://www.charcon.com/products/kerbs/block_kerb.aspx

I would use thin kerbstones like used on pavements and if your driving is that bad get some solar powered garden lights

Sponsored Links
there are plenty of options avaliable on the market, however the best mix is simply sharp sand and cement. My father used to make up items like this and even "specials" for bricklaying jobs. Slow and a pain in the back side but you can get very good and strong results. Depends if you have the patience and the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back