velux windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is replacing the sealed unit in a velux window an easy DIY job?

I can buy the sealed units at a reasonable price but don't know whether it's the sort of job that can be easily tackled from inside the house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jane.

Sponsored Links
I haven't tried this, but given the way that Velux windows pivot, so that you can clean the outer glass from within the building, I would expect that you can also remove/replace the glazing unit without going onto the roof.

Have you asked Velux?

Hi,

Can you let me know where you have found the velux sealed unit at a reasonable price because I also need to replace the sealed glass unit.

Thanks

Softus said:
I haven't tried this, but given the way that Velux windows pivot, so that you can clean the outer glass from within the building, I would expect that you can also remove/replace the glazing unit without going onto the roof.

Have you asked Velux?

you can remove the sash whole by pressing in a little button by the pivot hinge, this allows it to pivot completely out of the frame.

takes two people on the bigger ones.

Sponsored Links
I have just realised that I didn't reply to the question about where to buy the replacement units at a reasonable cost.......... sorry!
I just contacted a local glazing company in Didcot and they quoted me £37.26 each (including vat) for GGL5 units.
I was quoted cheaper from another local company who make their own units, but went with the £37.26 because they were genuine Velux units. I have since discovered that they were sourced from the local Travis Perkins branch, so probably worth enquiring there first.
Fitting has turned out to be very easy, the trickiest bit is getting the unit back in and needs two people in order to locate the unit back in properly.
Jane.

I have just realised that I didn't reply to the question about where to buy the replacement units at a reasonable cost.......... sorry!
I just contacted a local glazing company in Didcot and they quoted me £37.26 each (including vat) for GGL5 units.
I was quoted cheaper from another local company who make their own units, but went with the £37.26 because they were genuine Velux units. I have since discovered that they were sourced from the local Travis Perkins branch, so probably worth enquiring there first.
Fitting has turned out to be very easy, the trickiest bit is getting the unit back in and needs two people in order to locate the unit back in properly.
Jane.

hello there can you tell me what the overall thickness of the sealed unit was
thankyou

stayclean, why are you hi jacking a post that is 2 years old and the OP has not made any posts for 2 years

why dont you just ask velux, they make the things

stayclean, why are you hi jacking a post that is 2 years old and the OP has not made any posts for 2 years

why dont you just ask velux, they make the things

im not hi jacking a post im just looking for some info , hopefully someone can help

im not hi jacking a post im just looking for some info , hopefully someone can help

yes you are

forum rules said:
6) Do not hi-jack posts. Hi-jacking is adding your query to somebody else's thread.

and as i said you are hijacking a 2 year old post by some one who no longer posts.

its not rocket science, just look at the date

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back