a few q on new pvcu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have searched goggle and the forum but didn't find what im after.

i ama bout to replace with upvc windows. LABC will be inspecting but i am currently held back becuase the person who does the money stuff aint at work :rolleyes: , so i can't send the forms in.

i know that the existing windows have a brick reveal and have a vdpm inbetwen the brick and blocks. Im not sure if this is cut off level with the window frame or if it has been brought through to the inside of the house then cut off under the plaster, will this make a difference? or is it just a matter and fitting new frame.

second question is regarding fixings. i was going to use them fixings by powerline that have the t30 star drive. you just drill a 6mm hole and screw into brick. will these be ok into brick? or is there something better.

also what lenght should i be looking to get into the brick work? frame will take approx 30mm of screw up, is 50mm in brick enough?

Sponsored Links
anyone :)

also do i need to install a cavity closer at the bottom of the windows where the window board currently sits?

When the frame goes in it should be fixed so that part of it covers the vDPC so that no part of the external skin is on the inside otherwise dampness can get to the inner plaster. This also prevent s thermal bridge and the likelihood of condensation and mould on this cold section of external wall.

The masonry screws do the same job as a screw and plug or a frame fixing.

The fixings are only to stop the frame sliding forward, so in theory a 10mm fixing will do this, but a 50mm fixing into the wall is more like it

The cavity at the jambs and cill should be sealed

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back