concrete fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 9 x 6ft panels to put up in my garden, i am using 8ft concrete panels and post-mix stuff.
its a pretty level garden.
would the correct way be to fix the first and last posts and put a string between the two and work to that?
just seems to me at that distance apart it would be very difficult to get your two posts exact distance you want them apart!?
go to put your last panel in and find the gaps not big enough or too big !!

is there any other way to do this?

do i need gravel boards? as there is a concrete path way running alongside where the fence is going and i was hoping to rest the panels on to it.
grateful for any help

Sponsored Links
I dont build fences.
I think I would put 1st post in, run a line to the end, then put the posts in at intervals working from the first one keeping to the line.
The pros probably have a length of wood they use as there distance. Just a guess.

If you're erecting a panel fence,it's usual to place the first post,dig the hole for the second, prop the panel into place so the second post is a snug fit, them concrete it in to that position.

If you put up lots of posts and try to fit the panels later, you will find...

it is very difficult lifting the panels 6 ft in the air to slide them in

you may have got the posts a fraction too close or too far apart and so not get the good fit you want.

get the first post in and use a marker at the other end. then tie a string line between the two of them. Erect each panel at a time. get the gravel board level and then mark where the hole for the post will be and dig it. then place the panel and the board in and offer the new post up to it and concrete it in. repeat all the way down to the end. Start at the highest end first.

Do not try to put the panels in afterwards, it wont work!

Sponsored Links
I put a 6ft fence up not so long ago, and put all the posts up first. Then put in concrete gravel boards and fence panels afterwards.

Although it's possible, you need to be very accurate with your measurements, and lifting gravel boards 6ft in the air is amazingly difficult!!!

I'm chalking that one down to experience, I dont recommend you do it.....

Post, board, panel. Repeat until you reach the end, or until you get tired out.

You definitely want to follow the advise on here and do 1 panel at a time.
That way you got a snug fit. I hadn't done any fencing before, but it went well.

The biggest issue is going to be digging the holes.
It's hard work going 2 foot down. I hired a machine to break up the previous concrete.
Also if the holes are going in new places (and they probably will do if you're replacing wooden posts as the spacing will be different) you need to be careful of any pipes. The neighbours house is close to ours and I saw one at the edge of one of my holes.

The concrete gravel boards add strength to the post as well as preventing rot.
The posts are heavy and a 2-man job, but once the holes are dug I would say actually erecting the fence isn't much trouble at all even for a novice like I was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back