Patio slab pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Almost finished my patio - have used 600x600 Bradstone Riven in Buff with about a 10-12mm gap.
I have some kiln dried sand and cement, but how do I get a 'near enough' colour match?
Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
go to a store that sells brick and cement and ask for cement power dye, it comes in various colors.It is usually sold by the pound.
Do not add to much at a time! it changes color when it dries.
I would mix only a cup or two cement and try a pinch of dye let it dry continue until you have the color you want then go for it.
good luck.

Cheers fellas. I'll pop into buildbase and ask for some cement dye.

Thermo - whats up with kiln dried?
I plan on doing it dry and wetting it all after as i am crap at pointing with wet. Would that make a difference?
Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
Pointing it dry, then wetting it, will lead to a crumbly mortar which will fail in a season or two.

no it wont make a difference. its too fine and wont bind well enough. Do as wabbitpoo says, use a damp mix to start with

Thanks for the tips fellas.
Kiln dried is in the van ready to go back!
I also have a pot of Buff dye. :D

Do you recomend a semi dry mix pushed into the joint as per pavingexpert site?
They say wet enough so it sticks together, but not so any moisture leaks out when squeezed. Pushed into joints and hammered in. Then the rest brushed off the slabs once dry.
Wont this stain the slabs?
Also, should I mic this in the mixer or is it better done by hand in a bucket?
I have Bradstone riven buff, so they are very light and textured.
Thanks
Huw

mix it in a bucket and measure it out carefully so you keep the mix the same. i use a piece of feather edge board to ram it into the joints, much quicker and easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back