heating, but no hot water - primatic system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changed a valve on one radiator after draining system. Refilled system, bled radiators and balanced. Radiators working fine, but no hot water and the primatic cylinder is cold. There is no bleed valve on it. Also all pipes around cylinder is cold. Also only one header tank. Any ideas of problem and method of solving plz!

Sponsored Links
Hang on. Why have you got a header tank (for the rads) AND a Primatic cylinder? Are you sure? Also, a Primatic cylinder self-primes and needs no venting.

There is definately a tank. The system was working ok until i drained it to fit a new radiator valve.(the old valve was leaking) The radiators are gettimg hot, but i have no hot water. It is one of the very old systems which isnt made any more.

Im persuming that the tank is the supply that goes to the cylinder. But like i said before everything was working ok till i changed the radiator valve and then filled the system back up again! The radiators are working fine.

Sponsored Links
My guess is that the there is an F&E tank for the heating and a Fortic for the domestic water - combined break tank and indirect cylinder. Domestic water not hot in this case is usually due to airlocked coil.

There should be a manual air vent on the pipework near the coil connections to the cylinder, or an open vent to over the F&E tank. If neither of these then you could loosen the upper coil connnection to vent it then do it up again, whilst praying that it won't leak.

Good Luck.

It is a primatic cylinder, which doesnt have a air vent. It doesnt have to have one. It is a complete unit that does heating and water together. Basically that means you cant have one without the other. There are no bleed areas on the tank and until i drained to do the valve it was working ok. Like i said in my other notes, the heating is ok. But i have no hot water now.

jules,
2 old tricks for clearing possible airlocks in primatic cylinders.

1. run the hot water taps (all of them) for a while. the resulting rush from the f&e tank can clear an airlock.
2. boil it. this involves pulling the thermostat phial out of it's pocket in the boiler and waiting until it boils. this one is only for gas fitters though. if the first one doesn't work you should call out an expert.

weargas said:
jules,
2 old tricks for clearing possible airlocks in primatic cylinders.

1. run the hot water taps (all of them) for a while. the resulting rush from the f&e tank can clear an airlock.
2. boil it. this involves pulling the thermostat phial out of it's pocket in the boiler and waiting until it boils. this one is only for gas fitters though. if the first one doesn't work you should call out an expert.
THANKS WEARGAS-EXCELLENT TIPS AAA111+++

Hi Jules. Do I take it then that one of weargas's tricks worked, if so which one cured it?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kevplumb said:
wont boiling it blow the bubble ? :confused:

it's never happened to me but you should only try it if your confident you know what you're doing (which is why i told him it's an expert job). I was taught these tricks by my father himself an old plumber. The amount of times i come across a primatic problem is very rare now. Long live unreliable combis.

Boiling it would blow the bubble, but only if you let it boil for to long!
Turning all the hot water taps on is a good tip. If that fails then the last resort is to boil it, but carefully!
Problem hasnt been solved, a burst has stopped work and brought the ceiling down!
Im glad its not my house! :LOL:

OH AND BY THE WAY, IM A SHE NOT A HE!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks for all your advice guys ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back