Decking onto existing concrete steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a new patio area laid in our back garden and it looks fabulous. But now we realise that the 6 steps which lead down from our kitchen to the pation look a bit weathered.

They are solid steps but have a few chips and look very grey. Initially we were going to just paint them but with the minor chips don't think this would look too good. Then we had an idea to freshen them up by covering with decking planks.

As I mention above there are 6 of these steps and they are 10" deep and 3' wide with a height of 7". There is an existing metal handrail which has been painted and looks good the minimum clearance between the step and the bottom of the hand rail is 3".

Could I fix decking boards directly onto these steps. Have searched post about fixing decking onto concrete and they all appear to recommend some form of frame but don't understand why. My thoughts were to place the boards on the steps, drill a hole into the concrete and then use masonry ancors to secure.

Can anyone advise if this is a bad idea - and if so if there are alternatives to spruce up the steps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome johngla :D :D :D

i personaly wouldnt because during the winter when the boards become slimey and slippery you will be for ever cleaning them or god forbid you slip on them

they would also become a trip hazzard because you are making the steps unequal top to bottom

hello and welcome.
In canada we have a product that is perfect for cement patios and stairs.
It is a three part primer, trowelled on or rolled on product and has sand for non slip in it, comes in many colours.
check your local reno outlet first before decking.

Sponsored Links
hes not in canada!

its best to use batten screwed to the steps first. it allows you to get it levele and allows water to drain away under the boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back