quick drying concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make some round edged drive edging blocks about 3 inches thick and 5 inches tall , gradually tapering to 1 inches tall.

This is as a result of my neighbour having his drive paved and then edged with bull-nosed blocks the sharp side of which runs at the edge of my concrete drive and is proving to be a tyre hazard.

Due to his drive sloping towards his house, his blocks gradually get lower and I am unable to find a suitable commercial product I could sensibly modify.

One of this forum's members gave me ides for a suitable concrete mix recently, and as the quantities were fairly modest I had a look in B&Qs to see if they had a suitable readymix in bags.

I had already been advised that it would be a long job, having only one mould (which I intend to make) end suggesting that I will have to leave the mix in the mould for a couple of weeks to harden - and I have about twenty blocks to make.

While in B&Qs I noticed that they had bags of quick drying cement - would this be suitable for my project?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
depends on the mix of said cement.

regarding the drying times thats not true.

you can use the mould as again as son as the concrete sets, at least 12 hours, you cant use what came of of the mould for at least 24 hours, but 7 days would be much better.

make 2 moulds

Thanks for the prompt reply, Breezer.

A block a day isn't quite so bad - I can live with that.

I will have to stick with one mould, thats all the resin and glass cloth I have, and its not cheap to buy.

Any one had experience of quick drying cement - does it dry brittle?

Thanks

either do what your thinking of doing,or just get some decrotive blocks and give him the crap side,see how he likes it.

Sponsored Links
It seems quick drying concrete is not widely used by members - oh well better the devil you know............

(this is for OPC, not Prompt Cement)

while it is curing, keep it damp (or wet) this will maximise its strength. You can immerse in water, or spray and wrap in polythene if you like. Once it has gone dry and white it has stopped gaining strength (even if you later wet it)

2 days is minimum,
2 weeks is not too long.

Just be sure not to crack them when you shake them out of the mould.

I suppose your neighbour might take the view that he is not forcing you to drive over the edge of his paving.

as john d has said. prolonging the curing time only seeks to increase the strength of the concrete.

using quick drying cement may be unwise in this instance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back