Japanese Maple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of Japenese maple trees, which I started off from practically new, they are all in pots, and have been for some years.

All my pots have been in the same positions, have treated them all the same, and they have all thrived, except one.

The only way I can explain it, is one half of the tree is healthy and vibrant, the other half looks dead. :eek:
There is no greenery, no leaves, just dead branches.

Has anyone any idea what could have caused this?

My other trees are looking healthy, and half of this one is healthy, but the other half is isnt.

I will try and upload a pic over the weekend, and hopefully someone can help me to save it, as I have had this one from a baby, and its approx 5-6 years old now, and I am flummoxed as to what has caused this. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Is the dead side getting the same amount of light and air or the rest?

All I can think is maybe it's the side in the corner?

Thanks marty for your reply, yes the tree is getting the same.

I spoke to someone today, and they said thier the same has happened with thier tree, and he hasnt a clue either.

Have been out all day, so havent managed to take a pic yet, but will tomorrow and you can see what I mean.

Sponsored Links
I notice the bare side is the one towards the fence, has it always faced this way?

two things come to mind.
one- a grub in that branch close to the trunk.
two- broken root during planting, you might try transplant different pot with new earth and fertilizer.

Could be one of a number of things or a combination.

Acers love free draining soil. Is there anything different about this pot that could see the Acer sitting in waterlogged conditions?

They also don't like direct sunlight. They need some protection all the time. As opposed to morning sun/afternoon shade or vice versa they need partial shade constantly and wind protection.

Another possible cause though could be vine weevil larvae. Have a look in the root system if you can. You're looking for off white grubs which could be slowly destroying the root system.

Toptec, No it hasnt always faced the fence, I do turn the pot round every so often, I had just turned it a few days ago, thats why it looks against the fence.

Crazycanuck, you have better eyes than me lol, to see a grub, I still cant see it.
The tree has been in the same pot for approx 6 years.

Axel, I dont think its waterlogged, but admittidly our back is south faceing, and anywhere on this patio gets the full sun all day, I have Acers on the opposite side of this Patio, and they are perfect.
You mentioning wind, this side where the tree is, does get a lot of wind, and we have had some bad winds and rain.

Spoke to another person today, that has the very same problem, so that is 3 of us so far, but I will check for any grubs, I dont really want to remove it out of the tub yet, as was planning to replant it anyway in a bigger tub at the end Autumn.

Thanks everyone for all your replies, I'll let you know how it all goes. :D

I have an Acer in a tub, which I have had for 12 years, it is normally in a shady corner next to the house.
When we had new windows fitted last spring the tub was moved further into the garden, and not replaced
in its shady corner for a few months. I had the same problem as you, but when the pot was returned to its
more sheltered position, it began to grow again and has now returned to its usual healthy state. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back