Glass tinting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have a tall glass cabinet and want to make it so that you cannot see (or near enough) the contents in the top shelves. I originally planned on using car window tinting, however, upon doing further research, I have learnt that window tinting has a tendency to go purple after a while, as well as develop other faults, depending on the quality of it. This probably also goes for other types of window films, such as those frosted ones, etc. I should also mention that the cabinet will be in the bathroom, so plenty of steam and condensation. I cannot replace the glass with coloured glass as I only need it on part of the glass; besides, I believe that would be way too expensive. I have two questions.

1) Is there a good quality tint available that will last a long, long time?

2) If not, is there anything else that I could do?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you could try sand blasting the area you require to hide . the effect, if you sand blast the inside will give you an opaque finish inside the room also condensation will not effect the area as its smooth on the room side.

Thanks wms / gregers.

wms, how do I go about getting it sandblasted? I've no idea what is required.

gregers, I've looked it up and yes, there is such a thing as glass paint!

Thanks for the ideas; I'll look into them. Please bear in mind that I need a totally professional look. My amateur painting skills probably can't cut it! Haha.

Sponsored Links
most glass processing plants,glaziers etc can sort out the sand blast side
not many double glazing companies do this you require a glass processor.

you could do it your self but you would need compressor with sand blast gun. machine mart do the guns some silica sand for blasting watch out for the fine dust though,not to be inhaled. and mask off what you require to stay clear and blast in even rows in opposite directions a bit like spraying with a paint gun stand pain in a receptacle (box ) :LOL: to collect the sand for re use or you will need a few bags .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back