drip from toilet water inlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I installed a close coupled toilet. There is a drip from the compression fitting between the pipe and the inlet of the toilet. I'm not sure there's meant to be an olive in there or not. The size of olive that comes with 15mm compression fittings doesn't fit in the plastic threaded part of the inlet to the toilet. But the 15mm nut is the correct size.

I've tried without the olive and with it stuck in as much as i can get it. It drips either way. Anyone got any ideas what's wrong?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Wrap the olive with a few turns of ptfe if it's too small.
If the spigot sticking out of the fill valve is square ended, you need a tap connector, or better, an appliance service valve.

Do you mean the connection where the copper water pipe joins the plastic thread for the float valve?

If you do, then this isn't a compression fitting, its a half inch tap connector.

You will need a half inch fibre washer to go on the bevelled end of the connector inside the nut. This forms the seal between the tap connector and the plastic threaded float valve tail.

Yes, this is where the drip is coming from. I'll try fitting a half inch tap connector. Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
And no need to overtighten and take care not to damage the thread on the inlet valve which is usually plastic.

If you have connected up to the plasic float valve tail, then you must already have a tap connector in place.

Its the fibre washer you need.

15mm compression x 1/2 inch tap connector with fibre washer now fitted, and no leak!

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back