Correct way to use sealant around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've build an extension and the windows are in. I've got to put sealant around them and wondered what the best way to do it is. Sealing around a bath etc is easy but around a window there are obviously mortar joints between the bricks where the line of sealant will require a bit more thought. I would like to get a neat finish. Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
If you find sealing around a bath 'EASY' then im sure you will find no problem sealing arond your windows.its like any job you do,if you're used to sealing then a window will be a piece of p**s.I have my method of doing it and someone else will have their way of doing it.From a personal point of view,dont use silicone.I would use somthing like mastic or polysulphide

Just don't cut the nozzle too big. a mistake quite a few ppl do and it ozzes out horribly. Keep the gun moving slowly without stopping if you can.

Good luck :)

Acrylic mastic will crack after a few years and will require painting over to achieve maximum life ( of 10 years). Its also not very flexible and goes brittle in cold weather. Its really old technology now, so there are few reasons to use it nowadays

A one-part polysulphide will do, but it will cost more than silicone

Most appropriate for plastic windows would be a low-modulus silicone.

Cut the nozzle to about 8-12mm wide to give a nice even cover. Any gaps over 5mm should be packed with a foam or rubber strip.

Clean off all dust first

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt use mastic either; low modulus silicone every time. I find it easier to get a uniform bead by running the gun at a fairly brisk rate with the old wet finger finish but it does take practice.

On reflection of my earlier post i have to admit that i made a schoolboy error :oops: Mastic probably wasn't the best advice to offer,however as i was thinking along the lines of fitting timber windows as opposed to upvc.I can count on 1 finger how many plastic windows ive fitted and the timber windows i fit are always specified to use polysulphide.Using silicone to seal these windows is frowned upon by the client(english herritage).Usually though the window will be ribbon pointed.
If used properly,polysulphide will(should)not shrink.IMHO silicone will always discolour after a few years and i would have to remove it and reapply due to aesthetics reasons only.Im sure silicone is not bad to use otherwise the thousands of upvc installers across the land wouldnt be using it ;)

I find that it is polysulphide that fades and forms a matt finish over time, whilst silicone stays a bright and more glossy.

Some of the sealant on the sunny side of my house is visibly yellower than the other areas, and its more rubbery so I think this is polysulphide and not silicone

And I'm sure the OP knows the old "fairy liquid on the finger" trick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back