New Internal Door - Resistance When Closing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post.....what a great site!

I've recently fitted a new solid pine internal door to an existing frame. The door was planed on all edges, to give a 2mm gap between the frame and the door (6mm at the bottom).

I've now hung the door, and when closed there's a clear gap on all side (plus top and bottom). However, when closing the door, there's resistance and if not fully closed, it "bounces" open by about 6".

Whilst the hinges are screwed in tight, i've noticed that they move slightly (the spine/butt moves away from the frame by 1mm or 2mm) when the door is fully closed.

I think that the screw heads may be causing this.....is this a common problem? The hinges are from Wickes and came with there own screws.....could it be that the screw heads are too big for the hinges?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Problem sounds like hinges as you say.
Either the screw heads (shouldnt be if they're countersunk screws) or maybe the hinges are slightly out of alignment / recessed too much

your hinge bound, the hinges are shut before the door is , hence the movement on the hinge pulling away.

Thanks for the responses guys. Should I assume protruding screw heads are causing the problem?

Sponsored Links
Yes. It's called 'springing', most likely caused by protruding screw heads....or excessive paint build up. If they are the correct screws for the corresponding hinges as you say, is it possible that you didn't screw them in squarely, thus leaving one edge of the screw head sticking out here & there on a few of them ?

I've just had a look and they seem fairly square (i'm quite fussy about things like that).

I've had another look at some hinges that are yet to be fitted, and there doesn't seem to be much gap between the "plates"when the hinge is closed (as if the door were closing)....it doesn't look like there's space for the screw heads.

Could this be down to cheap hinges?

the screw heads are countersunk into the hinges....if they were protruding, you'd know purely by running your finger over the hinge.

...in which case, it's possible you may have recessed the hinge leaves too deeply and the door is binding.....in which case you'd have to 'pack out' the hinge recesses with slivers of cereal packet card....careful not to pack out too much, as this could cause you problems with your leading edge of the door closing.

Can you not see where the binding may be occurring first ? What touches what as the door starts to spring ?

I had the same cheap hinges from Wickes, and had the same problems, ended up using some smaller headed screws which sorted it, with mine you could see the heads were too big for the countersunk part

Try putting a bit of insulation tape or similar inside the hinge, then close the door. The marks will show you which screws are causing the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back